Thursday, February 25, 2010

Salt Lake City - Moochie's Meatballs, Philadelphia Sub Shop and Lone Star Taqueria

At this time I am sitting in my hotel room in Salt Lake City.  Some of the food I had yesterday and today compelled me to post an update. 

One of the things I look forward to when I am traveling on business is I get to try new joints that I would normally not be able to get to.  The other part I like is every once in awhile you get to try a place that the locals believe should be showcased on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  The lucky part for me is this trip I got to do both.  First off is Moochie’s Meatballs in downtown Salt Lake City.  This place is now on my favorites list.  Moochie’s is a fun little place that looks almost like a house in parts.

Outside Moochie's Meatballs
 
 
Inside Moochie's Meatballs

I went to Moochie’s last night straight from the airport.  This place is known for their sandwiches and subs.  I had a Philly cheese steak with mushrooms and onions.  Great sandwich!  I think it may be good enough for people that have lived in Philly.  LOL (I am expecting some comments on that one) Also I have not been to Philly to try the “real thing” but this is one the best if not the best I have had.

 
Philly Cheese Steak with Grilled Onions and Mushrooms

They also have meatball sandwiches as you would expect but when I walked in it was clear the Philly was the real deal!  The thing that tipped me off most was the sign that told you how to order one.

The people working there were super nice.  I was not the only on there that had seen the episode on DDD which was cool.  I chatted with one of the guys that worked there until my sandwich was ready.  Turns out I came at the right time because if I was to try stopping in at lunch they usually have a line that goes out the door and down the block.  You know they have kickin food if that is the case.   I almost forgot you have a to try the Jumpin’ Jalapeno Sauce on your cheese steak.  This stuff was incredible.  It really added some depth to their already super flavorful cheese steak.  I wanted some for home.  Yum Yum.

You need to check this place out!  However bring your appetite, as the sandwiches are tasty and big.  Five stars!

Moochie's Meatballs & More on Urbanspoon

Today for lunch I ate at Philadelphia Sub Shop in Clearfield, UT.  Yes I know what you are thinking but the “local” I was with said I had to try this place especially if I liked Moochie’s.  This joint was very good.  Not as friendly as Moochie’s but the food was on par.  It is very hard to compare the two sandwiches as they were nothing alike.

 
Cheese Steak from Philadelphia Sub Shop

These guys add something like pickles to their cheese steaks and the bread is super fresh.   The touch of pickle and their homemade sauce were a very good combination.  It was like nothing that I have had before but still very good.  If you are in the area then it is worth stopping at.  Be prepared to wait in line. 

Philadelphia Sub Shop on Urbanspoon

Lastly we have Lone Star Taqueria in Salt Lake City.  That is where I ate tonight.  This was is another DDD and when you see it you will understand why.  As a side note I have now been to more DDDs than Kim. :)


This is a very funky joint from the outside and a lot of fun on the inside.

Lots of people using their drive thru and a good stream of people picking up food and eating inside.  This joint serves Mexican food (if you did not get that from the name).    I walked in an ordered a camaron (shrimp) taco and a carne adovado (marinated pork) taco (Now I know what my buddy Jeff keeps talking about carne adovada).  Both of these tacos were incredible.  WOW.  The carne adovada was very tender with a ton of flavor, the chili powder and cumin stand our along with the gloves and garlic.  Each of these was in a soft corn tortilla.  Once again WOW. 
 
Camaron and Carne Adovada Tacos
 
They were so good I grabbed a carne adovada burrito to go.  I just finished eating that bad boy and it was even better.   The burrito had a ton of meat with rice, beans, lettuce and pico de gallo.  This is another joint that I will be back to. (Maybe tomorrow before my flight)

 
Carne Adovada Burrito

Lone Star Taqueria on Urbanspoon



 Now there are three DDDs in Salt Lake City that I will have to visit again.  Who would have thought that SLC would be a food sanctuary?   Soon I will share my experiences from Red Iguana and Blue Plate Diner, which are both in SLC.

Now I need to go work through my food coma.  Have a great night!
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • blogmarks
  • Fark
  • Furl
  • Live
  • NewsVine
  • Reddit
  • Slashdot
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • YahooMyWeb

No comments:

Post a Comment